My Mom always made it a point to serve coconut whenever we have a special occasion. Whenever I feel poorly or I had a really hard day, she would have a pitcher of fresh coconut water on hand. I too have gotten into the habit of getting my children to drink coconut water at least once a week. Coconut is considered a miracle fruit, very versatility, it has a lot of traditional uses, ranging from food and cosmetics. It is part of regular diet of a lot of people in tropical countries like the Philippines.
Minolta Premium Coconut Oil sponsored a talk for bloggers to reveal The Truth about Coconut Oil. Dr. Fabian Dayrit, was the resource speaker that day, professor of Ateneo de Manila.
Coconut is one of the most robust and useful members of the plant kingdom. Found in all tropical and sub-tropical coastlines worldwide and can grow on a variety of soils.
Distinct from other fruits because they contain large quantity of water /juice; and when immature, they are known as tender-nuts or jelly-nuts and may be harvested for their potable coconut water . When mature, they can be used as seed nuts or processed to give oil from the kernel, charcoal from the hard shell, and coir from the fibrous husk.
I have always aware of how awesome the fresh coconuts are but did you know that coconut oil is very versatile as well.
Coconut , the amazing fruit has a lot uses, and benefits. Dr. Fabians mentions a few..
- Coconut Oil Contains Fatty Acids With Powerful Medicinal Properties Coconut oil has been demonized in the past because it contains saturated fat. – Coconut oil contains a lot of medium chain triglycerides, which are metabolized differently and can have therapeutic effects on several brain disorders.
- Populations That Eat a Lot of Coconut Oil Are Healthy – Plenty of populations around the world have thrived for multiple generations eating massive amounts of coconut fat.
- Coconut Oil Can Help You Burn More Fat – The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil have been shown to increase calories burned over 24 hours by as much as 5%, potentially leading to significant weight loss over the long term.
- Coconut Oil Can Kill Harmful Microorganisms – The fatty acids and breakdown products in coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens, potentially helping to prevent infections.
- Coconut Oil Can Reduce Your Hunger, Helping You Eat Less – The fatty acids in coconut oil can significantly reduce appetite, which may positively affect body weight over the long term.
- Coconut Oil Can Improve Blood Cholesterol Levels – Studies in both humans and rats show that coconut oil improves important risk factors like Total, LDL and HDL cholesterol, which may translate to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Coconut Oil Can Protect Hair Against Damage, Moisturize Skin and Function as Sunscreen – Coconut oil can be applied topically as well, studies showing it to be effective as a skin moisturizer and protecting against hair damage. It can also be used as a mild form of sunscreen and as mouthwash.
- The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil Can Boost Brain Function in Alzheimer’s Patients – Studies show that the fatty acids in coconut oil can increase blood levels of ketones, supplying energy for the brain cells of Alzheimer’s patients and relieving symptoms.
- Coconut Oil Can Help You Lose Fat, Especially The Harmful Abdominal Fat – Given that coconut oil can reduce appetite and increase fat burning, it makes sense that it can also help you lose weight.
50% of the fat content in coconut oil is a fat rarely found in nature called lauric acid. Laurie acid, according to Dr Dayrit is a powerful virus and gram-negative bacteria destroyer, and coconut oil contains the most auric acid of any substance on Earth! Pure lauric acid cannot be ingested directly because it’s severally irritating to the digestive tract. However, luckily when it’s chemically bound to glycerol (another compound found in coconuts or other saturated fatty foods), there are no gastrointestinal problems and the body easily absorbs it.
We need more coconut oil in our lives….
Great forum on the benefits of coconut oil. Thank you Minola for giving us bloggers the opportunity to learn about the health benefits of coconut oil.
If you want to learn more about Coconut oil and Minola like their FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/Minola-Cooking-Oil/
Until next time!